Browsing by Subject "I Hate Politics"
Now showing 1 - 20 of 97
Results Per Page
- ItemThe Absolute Disaster of Retail Energy Choice(I Hate Politics Podcasts, 2023-06-16) Dasgupta, Sunil; Peltier, LaurelThe two promises of utility deregulation in Maryland and several other states–lower prices and green energy–have not come to fruition. How energy trading firms can exploit competitive advantage to lower prices is hard to see and they have used Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs), not necessarily new generation, to claim they are selling green energy. Instead, energy trading firms have been accused of deceptive marketing and overcharging customers especially low-income and minority households. Sunil Dasgupta talks with Baltimore-based energy activist Laurel Peltier to find out how things went this wrong. Music from Arlington-based roots music singer-songwriter Valeria Stewart and her band Crooked Sparrow: youtube.com/@valeriastewartmusic. Peltier’s Help Desk: https://t.ly/6QtrL MD Public Service Commission complaint link: https://t.ly/c_da
- ItemAre School Ratings Meaningful?(I Hate Politics Podcast, 2022-12-02) Dasgupta, Sunil; Wattenberg, RuthWith Washington DC’s education leadership working to revise the city government’s School Report Card, Sunil Dasgupta talks with DC Board of Education member Ruth Wattenberg who has been fighting a long battle against test score-driven school evaluations. As the conversation dug deeper, Wattenberg opened up about charter schools, private foundation money, and mayoral control of DC’s public schools. Music from Silver Spring’s own power pop band, The Airport 77s. Local area nonprofits tell their stories and pitch for your support: Miriam’s Kitchen UpCounty Prevention Network Last week’s community organizations Woman to Woman Mentoring The Civic Circle Linus Project Montgomery County Chapter Action Committee for Transit Urban Adventure Squad The Senior Connection of Montgomery County
- ItemBudgeting! Redistricting! Exciting!(I Hate Politics Podcast, 2021-05-07) Dasgupta, Sunil; Meyers, Roy; Stein, DavidSunil Dasgupta talks with UMBC budget expert Roy Meyers as Maryland and its counties find their coffers surprisingly full from unexpectedly strong tax revenues and federal pandemic recovery funds. Montgomery Blair High School statistics teacher David Stein on lessons from his classroom for electoral redistricting, now waiting for census data to be released. DC singer-songwriter Emily Hall with new music.
- ItemCan Deep Pockets Revive Local Media?(I Hate Politics Podcasts, 2023-09-29) Dasgupta, Sunil; Copeland, ScottTwo and a half years after he bought the Bethesda Magazine and Bethesda Beat, Rockville-based real-estate developer Scott Copeland speaks with Sunil Dasgupta about the media business, rebranding Bethesda Beat as MoCo360, his own political education, and the troubles with housing and public education in the county. Local news re Safe Streets Act, the ban on gas-powered leaf blowers, a possible new housing moratorium in Frederick County, and the growing prospect of a strike at Kaiser Permanente Mid-Atlantic. Music from local Southern soul band, King Soul: kingsoulband.com. Safe Streets Act: https://t.ly/pZeL5. Gas leaf blower ban: https://t.ly/Y9sXO.
- ItemCan Government Become Business-Friendly?(I Hate Politics Podcast, 2022-07-15) Dasgupta, Sunil; Verrati, JulieMontgomery County, Md, has long had a reputation for being tough for business and compared unfavorably with Northern Virginia. In this episode, Sunil Dasgupta talks with Julie Verrati, co-founder of Denizens Brewing Company in Silver Spring, about the business climate in the county and neighboring jurisdictions. Verrati also served in the federal Small Business Administration during the Biden presidency and, in the episode, announces her choice in the County Executive race. Music by Rockville-based rock and roll band, The Treading Lemmings.
- ItemCan Incremental Change Fix Road Safety?(I Hate Politics Podcast, 2023-07-14) Dasgupta, Sunil; Schoenbaum, MiriamMontgomery County is about to pass a Safe Streets Bill. Traffic deaths and collisions are up. Distracted driving is rampant. Everyone wants safer roads but the only way to get there, it seems, is through small steps taken in the face of institutional and cultural barriers. Sunil Dasgupta talks with pedestrian and bike safety activist Miriam Schoenbaum about the bill and its implications. Local news re DC’s tough crime bill expanding pretrial detention for adults and juveniles. Music from the band Finster.
- ItemCan Maryland Reduce Gun Violence?(I HATE POLITICS PODCAST, 2023-02-17) Dasgupta, SunilWith the Maryland General Assembly weighing several new gun-related bills, Sunil Dasgupta talks with State Senator Jeff Waldstreicher, vice-chair of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee, about how Maryland can beat back the Bruen case, respond to a right-wing Supreme Court, and reduce gun violence. Local news on cannabis infrastructure. Music for this episode comes from Baltimore-based electronic music composer Shanika Freeman: neekofreeman.bandcamp.com Maryland state legislation search: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Search/Legislation. State Cannabis Workgroup materials: https://bit.ly/3I6J2Lj. #gunsense #momsdemandaction #guncontrolnow
- ItemCan Outdoor Learning Save Education?(I Hate Politics Podcast, 2021-05-28) Dasgupta, Sunil; Mintz, Elana; Allen, CarolIn time for Memorial Day 2021, Sunil Dasgupta talks with Elana Mintz, founder and executive director of Washington DC nonprofit Urban Adventure Squad, about learning outdoors safely, equitably, and inexpensively. Insect and plant expert Carol Allen of Washington Gardener Magazine on variations in cicada densities. Music from Washington DC area band, Bad Robot Jones. Very local news and more.
- ItemCar Culture and Bike Lanes(I Hate Politics Podcast, 2023-02-24) Dasgupta, Sunil; Friedson, Andrew; Chasen, LauraAfter the Maryland State Highway Administration took away two driving lanes to install new bike lanes following the deaths of two teenaged bicyclists on Old Georgetown Road, communities along the street have been up in arms. Sunil Dasgupta talks with Montgomery County Council Member Andrew Friedson and local resident Laura Chasen about rebalancing road safety and driving efficiency. Local news: apartment fire, bus shooting, and the Proud Boys hit Silver Spring. Music for this episode comes from Baltimore-based electronic music composer Shanika Freeman: neekofreeman.bandcamp.com. State Highway Analysis: https://bit.ly/3YXbdDE WABA petition: https://bit.ly/3IqOR6L #bikelanes #pedestriansafety #roaddiet #sharetheroad
- ItemThe Case for Ending Judicial Review(I Hate Politics Podcast, 2022-07-01) Dasgupta, Sunil; Statland, Julie; Stewart, Vaughn; Nolan, AndrewAs the country deals with the upending of the landmark abortion rights case, Roe v Wade, Sunil Dasgupta talks with Julie Statland of Riveting Women about the importance of having more women in local and state political positions and to Maryland Delegate Vaughn Stewart and UMBC History Professor Andrew Nolan about a moment in time when protections against the tyranny of the majority, including the venerated judicial review, look like anti-democratic measures that need to be jettisoned if the American experiment is to survive. Music by Rockville-based rock and roll band, The Treading Lemmings.
- ItemThe Case of the Missing MoU(I Hate Politics Podcast, 2021-10-01) Dasgupta, Sunil; Dublisnke, HeatherFor 18 months since the start of the pandemic, Heather Dublisnke has been the COVID-19 coordinator for Montgomery County Public Schools. Sunil Dasgupta talks with Dublinske about her role and the challenges and the frustrations of working in a large school system. Very local news about zoning wars and staff shortage in schools. Music from Two Truths, an electronic Americana band from Rochester, NY, with DMV roots.
- ItemChoosing Your Advocacy Style(I Hate Politics Podcast, 2021-02-19) Dasgupta, Sunil; Schoenbaum, Miriam; Adelson, BruceIn this episode, Sunil Dasgupta explores two contrasting styles of local government advocacy with pedestrian safety activist Miriam Schoenbaum and former Winston Churchill High School President Bruce Adelson.
- ItemCompanies Can Vote in Delaware?!(I Hate Politics podcast, 2023-08-11) Dasgupta, Sunil; Snyder-Hall, ClaireThree Delaware municipalities—Fenwick Island, Henlopen Acres and Dagsboro—allow corporations, trusts, and LLCs to vote in municipal elections. And the state almost allowed a fourth this spring. Sunil Dasgupta talks to Claire Snyder-Hall of Common Cause Delaware about artificial person voting and the state’s political culture. Episode includes student book review #2, this time of a contested picture book on MCPS LGBTQ+ curriculum list. Music from Baltimore clarinetist and composer Seth Kibel’s new album, Clown with a Stick: https://t.ly/uR9hp. John McCarthy 03/20/2023 testimony on police gun seizures: https://t.ly/LpJUH Love, Violet read-aloud: youtu.be/BcyRMgHgoAQ
- ItemComparing Rent Increases Along the Purple Line(I hate politics podcasts, 2023-05-19) Dasgupta, Sunil; Finio, NicholasBuilding the Purple Line light rail connecting Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties raised concerns that the resulting increase in housing costs will force out current residents and businesses while a new wealthier population moved in. Sunil Dasgupta talks with Nicholas Finio, one of the authors of a new study of rent increases near proposed Purple Line stations, about their findings and what they mean for public policy including rent control. Local news re Montgomery County Democratic Party and public schools struggling with absenteeism. Music from Alexandria, Va, alt-rock band, Jackie and The Treehorns: jackieandthetreehorns.com MCDCC Handbook: https://bit.ly/3pz5nMh Silver Chips story: https://bit.ly/3MkhxjK Peng, Knaap, & Finio paper: https://bit.ly/3MDaxj5
- ItemDavid Blair for Montgomery County Executive IHP Candidate Interview(I Hate Politics Podcast, 2022-01-28) Dasgupta, Sunil; Blair, DavidI Hate Politics Candidate Interview with David Blair for Montgomery County Executive. Blair is a Rockville businessman who ran a self-financed campaign for county executive in 2018 and lost the Democratic primary to current incumbent Marc Elrich by 77 votes. He talks to Sunil Dasgupta about how to attract corporations and high-paying jobs to the county. Music for this episode comes from Kara Levchenko, an Arlington singer-songwriter, who is the choir director in Centreville High School in Fairfax County Virginia.
- ItemDisruptive Politics(2023-01-20) Dasgupta, Sunil; Regan, Will; Swisher, Nora; Severance, Paul; Kramer, BenLast October, the climate group Declare Emergency blocked traffic on the Capital Beltway in an effort to force President Biden to announce a climate emergency. Sunil Dasgupta talks with Will Regan and Nora Swisher, who were arrested and jailed for that action, and Paul Severance, the group’s spokesperson to find out about their theory of victory. The episode includes a second interview Maryland state senator Ben Kramer about his claim to disruptive politics in proposing big changes to the agency responsible for land-use planning in Montgomery County. Music from Takoma Park bluesman Reggie Right-Eye and the Missing Pieces Band.
- ItemDoes Ag Land Preservation Work?(I Hate Politics Podcasts, 2023-04-28) Dasgupta, Sunil; Bradley, Anne; Stevens, KatieAgricultural land preservation is a longstanding policy tool against the threat of sprawl and a particular issue in Frederick County, Maryland’s fastest-growing jurisdiction. Sunil Dasgupta talks about how things are going in Frederick with Anne Bradley, the county’s land preservation programs manager, and with Katie Stevens, who runs the county’s agriculture business support. Local news about machine gun access, 529 reform, and Maryland’s new workforce shortage student grants. Music from Alexandria, Va, alt-rock band, Jackie and The Treehorns: jackieandthetreehorns.com Frederick Ag Land Preservation: https://bit.ly/3oPMrID Frederick Ag Business Support: https://bit.ly/3oSfmvt MD Workforce Shortage Student Grants: https://bit.ly/41KPArR
- ItemExpanding the Safety Net: COVID Food Distribution(I Hate Politics Podcast, 2021-05-21) Dasgupta, Sunil; Carlo, Jackie De; Alvarenga, Oscar; Saundry, AndrewIn this episode, Sunil Dasgupta talks with Jackie De Carlo, president of Manna Food Center; Oscar Alvarenga of Epworth United Methodist Church of Gaithersburg; and I Hate Politics Upcounty Reporter Andrew Saundry about organizing and running pandemic food distribution and the lessons they drew from it. New music from Washington DC area band, Bad Robot Jones.
- ItemFall Eating Guide with Local Influencer Michelle Katz(I Hate Politics Podcast, 2022-09-30) Dasgupta, Sunil; Katz, MichelleThe fall is not only apple and pumpkin picking season, but also time for Oktoberfests and cool dining choices. Sunil Dasgupta talks with local food maven Michelle Katz, whose Instagram account @pikeandrozay is one of the most influential food and food photography accounts in Montgomery County. She talks about Oktoberfests, Happy Hours, and food trends. Music from Montgomery County musician Eddie Boxxer.
- ItemThe Fight for Stable Wages in DC(I Hate Politics podcast, 2023-09-01) Dasgupta, Sunil; Hawla, Max; Ramirez, DianaOne of the great weaknesses of minimum wage laws is that it excludes tipped workers. In 2018, Washington DC voters passed Initiative 77 to level minimum wage across the board but the DC Council killed it. In 2022, the DC voters passed Initiative 82 with even bigger numbers and the measure is once more in front of the DC Council. Sunil Dasgupta talks with Washington DC bartender and labor activist Max Hawla and National Women’s Law Center labor organizer Diana Ramirez about how the fight to raise the minimum wage for tipped workers. Local news re Maryland US Senate seat, MCPS’ Biedleman scandal, and court decision on LGBTQ+ books. Music for the episode comes from DC post-punk band Grey Swift: https://t.ly/cu_jx Mahmoud v McKnight decision: https://t.ly/OxhRv WRAP Act: https://t.ly/Dvmub