UMBC Faculty Development Center (FDC)
The goals of the work of the FDC align with those of the UMBC Strategic Plan to:
- Provide exemplary support for educators in creating state-of-the-art undergraduate and graduate curricula delivered through innovative and effective approaches to teaching and learning.
- Continue to build a culture of academic assessment to support our faculty as the primary drivers of continuous improvement in student learning outcomes.
- Individual consultations and classroom observations
- Help in gathering student feedback through the CATALyst process
- Workshops and book discussions on teaching and learning topics
- Support for pedagogical innovation and research
- Learning assessment services
- Consultations in writing and communication in the disciplines
- Management of the Hrabowski Innovation Fund grant program
- Support for faculty learning communities (FLCs)
(NILOA, 2018-09)In this paper, we explore how assessment technologies can support college and university assessment processes at multiple levels. Our goal is to help you think through your institutional assessment culture and processes, ...
Contemporary Issues in Group Learning in Undergraduate Science Classrooms: A Perspective from Student Engagement (ASCB, 2018)As the use of collaborative-learning methods such as group work in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics classes has grown, so has the research into factors impacting effectiveness, the kinds of learning ...