UMBC Faculty Development Center (FDC)
The goals of the work of the FDC align with those of the UMBC Strategic Plan to:
- Provide exemplary support for educators in creating state-of-the-art undergraduate and graduate curricula delivered through innovative and effective approaches to teaching and learning.
- Continue to build a culture of academic assessment to support our faculty as the primary drivers of continuous improvement in student learning outcomes.
- Individual consultations and classroom observations
- Help in gathering student feedback through the CATALyst process
- Workshops and book discussions on teaching and learning topics
- Support for pedagogical innovation and research
- Learning assessment services
- Consultations in writing and communication in the disciplines
- Management of the Hrabowski Innovation Fund grant program
- Support for faculty learning communities (FLCs)
Contemporary Issues in Group Learning in Undergraduate Science Classrooms: A Perspective from Student Engagement (ASCB, 2018)As the use of collaborative-learning methods such as group work in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics classes has grown, so has the research into factors impacting effectiveness, the kinds of learning ...