Leading From Behind: The Role Of Women In Sharp Street United Methodist Church, 1898-1921
MetadataShow full item record
Type of WorkText
DepartmentHistory and Geography
ProgramMaster of Arts
RightsThis item is made available by Morgan State University for personal, educational, and research purposes in accordance with Title 17 of the U.S. Copyright Law. Other uses may require permission from the copyright owner.
SubjectsSharp Street Memorial United Methodist Church (Baltimore, Md.)
African American studies
Women's Club Movement
African American women
African American history
This thesis will demonstrate the monumental role that African-American women played in Sharp Street United Methodist Church from 1898 to 1921. It was not until 1898 that women began to form independent organizations to assist in defraying the newly acquired $70,000 debt for the new edifice. Gaining a sense of autonomy, they began to assert themselves in their community and nation by participating in the Women's Club Movement and the Progressive Movement. The study concludes with the erection of the Community House in 1921. Using minutes from the Sharp Street Trustees Reports, the Afro-American newspaper, and the church newspapers, The Appeal and The Messenger, this case study will recount the story of how ordinary church women socially and financially impacted their church, community, and nation through service.