From Mosque Six To Masjid Al Haqq: A History Of An African American Muslim Community In Baltimore, Maryland, 1956 To 1996
MetadataShow full item record
Type of WorkText
DepartmentHistory and Geography
RightsThis item is made available by Morgan State University for personal, educational, and research purposes in accordance with Title 17 of the U.S. Copyright Law. Other uses may require permission from the copyright owner.
Masjid Al Haqq
African American Studies
African American Muslims
Scholarly research on African American based Mosques in Baltimore City is minute when compared to scholarly works done on African American based Churches. Masjid Al Haqq, which was previously called Mosque Six, has been a mainstay for African Americans seeking Islamic guidance in Baltimore City since 1956. The Mosque and its members had significant impact on economic, social, and political activities in Baltimore City. Adopting a narrative approach; this research investigates the ideological, economical, educational, political, and social activities of the Mosque and its members from 1956 to 1996. This thesis states that the change in ideology when the Mosque transitioned from Mosque Six to Masjid Al Haqq after the death of Elijah Muhammad significantly changed the daily operations of the Mosque. Warith Deen Muhammad, who took over the leadership of the NOI in 1975 after the death of Elijah Muhammad, wanted to change the direction of the NOI toward Orthodox Islam while some NOI members wanted to continue the teachings of Elijah Muhammad resulting in a split in the movement. The economical, educational, political, and social activities of the Mosque and its members were dictated by the Islamic doctrine adhered to by the national leader of the Islamic movement. Mosque members in the 1950s to 1970s were guided by the doctrines of Nation of Islam (NOI) while in the 1980s they were guided by the doctrines of the World Community of Al-Islam in the West (WCIW) under the leadership of Warith Deen Muhammad.